Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Kind Life and Cooking Classes (oh, and more cookies!!)

I started The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet today. So far I'm loving it. I get to learn about a macrobiotic vegan diet, which sounds incredibly healthy! Anyhow, I decided to check out the website Alicia started to go along with the book, The Kind Life. On the front page, she made a post about Christina Pirello's macrobiotic vegan cooking classes in Philadelphia. !!! I would kill to be in those classes! Well, okay, maybe not kill considering I refuse to even eat animals, but boy do I wish I could somehow attend them. If only I wasn't broke and living in Texas. Perhaps once I find a job I can save up for one of the 3-day weekend classes.

Last night, my Care Bear and I made more cookies! This time we attempted sugar cookies, again with wheat flour. They turned out ridiculously delicious, especially with the royal icing. I am a lime freak, so I added lime juice to the icing rather than lemon, which I think gave it a uniquely amazing taste. I learned something from my past two cookie recipe experiences. While both still turned out delectable, substituting in wheat flour tends to make them a bit more dry. I looked into it some online, and it appears wheat flour absorbs more liquid than white. I found a great solution, though -- organic white wheat flour. White wheat flour comes from white wheat (duh) rather than the traditional red wheat, and it is lighter and more similar in taste to "normal" white flour, while maintaining the fiber and nutrition of traditional whole wheat flour.

I forgot to take a picture before digging in, but here are Care's and my addictive little sugar cookies:
Photobucket

No comments: